Like the scholars we train, we do not all the time begin being fully ready, so listed below are some suggestions that I’ve learnt over the previous 12 months instructing candle making courses to over 500 folks. I nonetheless have a solution to go and I like my college students benefit from the studying and can finally name myself an professional candle maker.
It is superb how a lot I’ve learnt over the previous 12 months simply from coping with the big variety of folks coming by way of my courses. I’ve taught for numerous years, but it surely has solely been over the previous 12 months that I’ve needed to get giant numbers by way of the courses.
I’ve needed to take steps to make my job simpler, learnt the right way to be extra organised and the right way to simplify the method of getting organised.
Listed below are a few of my suggestions.
Candle Class Necessities
1. Rice cookers – though rice cookers aren’t the right utensil for melting soy wax, it’s the most price efficient and they’re definitely extra handy for a category state of affairs the place a range and double boilers aren’t obtainable. The opposite cause is that it’s not actually sensible to have 10 – 12 college students huddled round a range.
Though there are various candle making movies on YouTube that use a microwave I would not suggest utilizing them as a result of lack of temperature management. It’s nevertheless helpful for cleansing out left over wax in your work jug.
Rice cookers are cheap to purchase and straightforward to make use of however all the time keep in mind security comes first. It MUST be remembered that soy wax when melted is like another oil and is flammable if over- heated. Care have to be taken and by no means go away your wax unattended.
2. Stirring sticks -To minimise the prospect of extreme bubbles I all the time present college students with a souvlaki stick for stirring. You might suppose that this might be ineffective for stirring and you would be proper. This the explanation I provide college students with them, to minimise the quantity of bubbles.
3. Grater – As we would like our college students to have the chance to make numerous candles with completely different colors and fragrances we hold the melting pot (the rice cooker) clear and pour the wax right into a “working” jug the place they’ll add their colors and fragrances.
To assist with the melting of the color chip, it’s simpler in the event that they grate the color into the recent wax. The usage of the pots avoids the necessity to clear out the melting pot to alter colors. After all should you had been doing this at dwelling in massive batches you’d simply drop the chip into the melting wax.
4. Scissors, wick trimmers or nail clippers for trimming wicks.
– Wick trimmers are excellent
– Scissors are the choice however can get jammed with wax, so clear recurrently or they are going to mangle the top of your wick moderately than trim it.
– Nail clippers all the time keep sharp, so are an excellent various
5. Pliers to make new wicks with our wick off cuts and sustainers
6. Directions as a powerpoint on a CD
CANDLE MAKING KIT
2. Wick Pack which incorporates wicks, wick stickers, security stickers, spare sustainers, centering sticks
3. Polycarbonate tea cups
To make it simpler for the category and to keep away from wastage of our fragrances we pre-measure a choose vary. We acquire the empty bottles, wash and re-use. Most inexperienced candle makers suppose extra is healthier and have to be taught that the wax can solely soak up a lot perfume.
6. Color Chips
We make our personal color chips through the use of the concentrated colors in melted soy wax and moulding. This was primarily as a result of college students utilizing an excessive amount of of the concentrated colors for small batches, but in addition as a cash saving thought.
By various the quantity of focus added, it permits us to make numerous shades of the identical color thereby giving them extra choice.
It is crucial for college students to learn the way a lot color is absorbed by the wax and the affect it has on the standard of the candle.
7. Silicone Molds
Silicone molds are definitely the simplest to make use of for melts and are comparatively cheap.
And at last, we function our enterprise with the intention of creating an affordable dwelling from it, so we all the time attempt to enhance our gross sales on the day by providing candle making kits which incorporates the wax and a wick pack.
It’s all the time simpler to promote to college students who’ve accomplished your courses, as a result of they belief your data, they know you might be contacted with questions and usually it’s handy for them.